Bergamot oil is extracted from the citrus fruit of the evergreen Bergamot tree. The bergamot fruit, Citrus aurantium ssp. Bergamia, is a small, pear shaped citrus fruit and is also known as the bergamot orange.
Medicinal Properties of Bergamot Oil:
The medicinal properties of bergamot oil include antidepressant, antiseptic, analgesic and antibiotic qualities. It is believed to offer relief in urinary tract infections and cystitis. This essential oil is also believed to have digestive properties and stimulates the liver, spleen and stomach. Bergamot oil has astringent properties and is effective for curing acnes. It is used in the treatment of depression, stress, hysteria, Seasonal Affected Disorder and anorexia. Bergamot Oil can be added to your mouthwash to get rid of halitosis. Psoralen, extracted from bergamot oil, is used for the treatment of psoriasis and vitiligo. It is also a part of the PUVA therapy (phototherapy using ultraviolent A).
Bergamot Oil in Aromatherpy:
- Bergamot oil has a watery viscosity and is widely used in aromatherapy. Its aroma has a calming effect and generates a feeling of general well being. Besides being used for strengthening your mental health, bergamot oil can also be used to treat certain physical conditions too.
- Bergamot essential oil blends with other such essential oils like black pepper, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, rosemary, jasmine, neroli, orange and nutmeg oil can be used for making natural facial creams, natural body lotions and natural body soaps.
- If you have a very oily skin and find those acnes very embarrassing then add a few drops of bergamot oil to your jar of face cream and blend well. Or, use it as an ingredient for your natural face cream for oily skin.
- Bergamot essential oil has antiseptic and healing properties. So, add a few drops of this oil to your bottle of body lotion to cure any scar.
- Bergamot essential oil helps to relieve stress and muscle fatigue. Use it in combination with other essential oils and carrier oils for massages.
- Bergamot oil can be burnt in a vaporizer to dispel odour and insects. Its aroma also creates a soothing atmosphere in the room and helps you relax.
- Inhaling bergamot vapours can also offer relief from cold and congestion.
- This essential oil can be used in very diluted form as a room spray or as a deodorant for oily skin types.